I hate it when things unexpectedly break. This last weekend, both of our bedside lamps broke. They just stopped working. We tried different bulbs, plugging the lamp into different outlets, etc. It’s slightly strange and coincidental that both of them bit the dust at the same time; but whatever. We hate our overhead light in our room because it’s just too much direct light (I’m ready to DIY a new overhead light, too…), and we really like having the soft light from lamps. New pretty lamps like the ones we had from Pottery Barn are just not in our budget. Lucky for David, I put my crafty brain on and made my own cute inexpensive sisal rope lamp!
Our bedroom is a coastal/nautical theme, so I wanted to try and create lamps that would better fit the theme than our previous silver metal lamps. I started by heading to the place where they have a plethora of cheap old lamps just waiting to be bought; the Goodwill. I found two plain lamp bases that looked almost identical. While they weren’t very exciting, I knew I could somehow transform them!
I brought them home, and painted the pink one navy blue to match the other. I then painted over both of them with some leftover Americana Chalky Finish paint in Everlasting. I wanted to have the blue show through when I distressed the bottom part of the lamp.
Once dry, I sanded the bottom just a tad for a more worn look. I had a bunch of leftover sisal rope from our whitewashed coastal pallet mirror and I wanted to incorporate it somehow on the lamps. They desperately needed some texture!
TIP: If you start gluing your rope at the back just above the lamp cord, you won’t see the “seam” from the front!
And our lamp base is done! I really wanted to use the lamp shades from our original lamps, but they were specially made to fit the lamp they came on. So, I went out and found some really inexpensive new white shades that would fit.
Ok, so just to tell you right off the bat; these stripes did not work very well. These shades were smaller on top than on the bottom, making it really difficult to get the tape on straight. And, because I had to curve the tape, a lot of the paint leaked through. Arrgh! But, from far away, they don’t look half bad. 😉
I forgot to take pictures of the lampshade process, but it’s not difficult. I measured where the middle of the shade was and decided how wide I wanted my stripe to be. I taped on either side of my measurements leaving the middle spot for paint. I used the same navy that I did on the lamp base. Once dry, I measured where I wanted my two small lines to go, and taped accordingly.
I really love how they turned out, and they look so perfect on our nightstands next to our navy bed set and turquoise walls!
Have a great rest of the week!
(I link up at these fun parties!)