You know that place between being half awake and half asleep? Sometimes I randomly come up with my best ideas during that time. I really should start keeping a notepad next to my head, because most of the time those ideas are gone by the morning. But this time, it stuck and I woke up thinking about it!
I must dream about chocolate lately, because as I was falling asleep the other night, I was thinking about ice cream. I was also thinking about how not so good it is for my waistline. All you other mama’s out there know what I’m talking about. Things just aren’t the same post-baby, which means I really can’t (and shouldn’t!) eat the same, either. Oops! Anyway, I was thinking about how frozen bananas make a good ice cream base, and of course, I needed to add chocolate in the mix. That’s when I put together (in my mind) a few ingredients, and bam – out came Dark Chocolate Banana Split ice cream, using only 4 ingredients! The next morning, I got to work trying it out.
All you need for this delicious treat are very ripe bananas (the ones I used above still weren’t really ripe enough, they need to even be more brown to get it more creamy!), honey, dark chocolate cocoa powder, and peanut butter. Sooooooo easy.
Dump everything into the food processor (or blender), and blend on high for a minute or two. Then just scoop it into a freezer friendly bowl. It’ll look like the above picture, almost pudding-like. You can by all means just eat it like that, too. But since it’s summer and it’s been HOT out, I wanted cold. You can also add nuts or chocolate chips as garnish. Just do it.
It’ll need to freeze for a few hours, but once frozen pull that baby out and stick a big ol’ ice cream scooper in it and
eat it directly off the scoop, not sharing it with anyone put it in little bowls to share. 🙂
Dark Chocolate Banana Split Ice Cream
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or any type of nut butter)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- Optional garnish: Dark chocolate chips, nuts
- Put bananas, peanut butter, honey and cocoa powder in a food processor (or blender). Blend until completely smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a freezer friendly bowl, and freeze for 2 hours, or until completely frozen through.
- Add optional garnish, scoop, and enjoy!
- Keep covered in the freezer for up to a week. (That’s an estimate, ours didn’t last longer than 1 day!)
- Serves 2 people, but you could easily double or triple the recipe to make more!
I hope you all have a fabulous week, filled with a yummy chocolate-y banana-y dessert! 🙂
Do you have a favorite healthy ice cream?